Friday, October 13, 2006

Bad Book Buys


Ok, time to rant. At the seminary I attend, we have a Fall bibliophilic ritual. Let me rehearse this ridiculous tradition. Toward the beginning of October, the student body pines with anticipation for a 16 page pdf document containing the a virtual cornucopia of theological, linguistic, and philosophical works. After reviewing this manuscript like a student of the dead sea scrolls, the gitty customers submit their orders to Eerdmans and with juvenile Christmas-like anticipation eagerly await the arrival of their new found joys.

Seriously, this group needs to wake up. The majority of this group misinterprets the "sale" being advertised as some sort of major savings. Please! Listen, do a quick price comparison with http://www.bestbookbuys.com/, and all of you will realize that you are beginning duped. You are still paying too much for these books. As a fellow bibliophile, I exhort you all, "Make your money work for you!!!" I would rather take a "used" book with a roughed edge than pay three times as much for a book on "sale." Anyways, don't be duped and try to balance quantity with quality.

5 comments:

cranny + b said...

Hey wannabe,

First of all I am glad to see you posting again. Second, I would like to disagree with you. After I read your post, I checked about 15 books online, and the Eerdmans sale price was always about $8-15 dollars cheaper. Now, the rest of us do not get a sweet discount with Barnes and Noble like you do, but this sale is a good (I think). It is nice to know however,that even when are ability to get this sale (or buying books from other publisher) that we can do so at a reasonable cost online. Thanks Russ for your rant, but next time check your facts. Haha. Talk to you later
Branine

robertlhall said...

I enjoy being juvenile. A friend of mine once said that the definition of immaturity is anyone who is having more fun than you :)

T. Baylor said...

Russell,

You are full of crap.

Baylor

Tim Barker said...

Russell,

A brash quote that will engender comments...so for the blogging world nice work. As far as books...I'm not convinced from you. Especially the 80% section is good. Other common paperbacks (Redemption by Murray for example)are available elsewhere for cheaper prices -so a good warning you offer.

As far as more hardbacks and other reference works I do think the Eerdmans sale is awesome.

Take Block's 2nd vol. on Ezekiel in NICOT. Best book buys: $39.06 via half.com. Eerdmans with shipping $23.40ish. Pulling it off my shelf with gleeful delight...priceless.

OTWannabe said...

Thanks for your responses everyone. First and foremost, I was practicing speacial pleading in a rather juvenille attempt to engender the a almost Marxistc (sp) response from my Bibliophilic brethren ("Bibliophiles, unite!") I agree with all your disagreements. My whole point is and always was this, FIND THE BEST "ZUYYIN" DEAL!!! Even with my "sweet" B&N discount, I still can find better deals on-line on occasion. So, check out bestbookbuys.com and addall.com to help you out.


Barker, great perception. Baylor, great ad homenum.